Tuesday, January 10, 2006

Song Of The Year

Iron & Wine

There isn't that many details surrounding this band that would normally attract my attention. I despise the fact that an M&M commercial gave them a push, I usually frown on music being used to promote things other than itself.
But I first heard them on PRI's "Sounds Eclectic" long before the song was brought to the mainstream via the candy that melts in your mouth. I just can't stop listening to them. The dreamy, soft folk style guitar picks, and the captivating lyrics are just to good for me to deny. A live, in-studio performance at MPR's 89.3 The Current was the clincher. Looking them up on Amazon, I find that in just 4 short years, these guys have managed 3 full length albums and 3 E.P's. By way of comparison, Fiona(pant,pant, drool,mmmbaby) Apple has released one album in the same amount of time.

The "Glammy" for best new song and artist goes to Iron and Wine for their single "Such Great Heights."**

**Which now I have learned came out in '04, and not '05. The only album I can find it on is the soundtrack to "Garden State." Like I said in a previous post, I'm an idiot.

Powered by Blogger